Re: [LAU] perhaps why some of us have more trouble w/ pulseaudio than others (ICE1712/M-audio delta problem w/ pulseaudio)

From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabrbedd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 12 2010 - 19:32:48 EEST

On Wed, 12 May 2010, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:

> it in a nice way that can be adopted easily by the
> developers. I understand that the ALSA sequencer API is
> huge and cumbersome, but the minimalist approach of Jack
> MIDI may be just another mistake in the opposite
> direction.

When writing MIDI apps, I want to deal with a normalized,
time-stamped MIDI byte stream (like what JACK MIDI) gives.
I really dig the JACK MIDI API because it gets out of my way
and lets me do my job.

I never liked the ALSA MIDI API because it was trying to do
too much crap /for/ me. I have to spend a bunch of time
grepping through source code (because the docs suck) trying
to undermine the ways its trying to help me.

$ 0.02

-gabriel