Re: [LAU] Distribution Usage?

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Fri May 14 2010 - 01:26:41 EEST

Hi Joel!
   Partly answer: Yes you can compile your own kernel for every available Linux
distro. But the cute thing about a few distros is, that they come equipped
with kernels specially suited to the needs of a lowlatency audio geek. :-)
   ALSA and JACK configurations are system independent, at least as far as
configurations and for JACK startup option are concerned. But then again it
might be a question of comfortability or what is compiled into JACK and ALSA.
I think aLSA wouldn't be the real problem, JACK... Might not be a problem, but
I think, there's some more room to do a suboptimal job.
   Then of course there's the rest of the basic configuration. How much is the
system configured for use with JACK, how many JACK-aware programs are
installed or onhow many programs is the JACK-support compiled in, if there's a
question of optional jack-support.
   As to the big audio giants like Ardour, they have so many compilation
options and optional librariries and features they can include... Another
thing to ponder, especially with actively developed app,ications is, how often
do you get new packages for these.
   If you are happy with one distro in general and dedicated to your audio
work, you can of course compile the most important components for yourself.
It's just a question of time, devotion and knowledge you wish to invest and
accumulate.
   Kindly yours
           Julien

--------