Re: [LAU] Reflections of... DSSI and OSC

From: Sean Bolton <musound@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 14 2010 - 14:03:33 EEST

Hi Ken,

On May 13, 2010, at 11:19 AM, Ken Restivo wrote:
> Is there some kind of reflection capability in DSSI so that I can
> discover which OSC parameters are available for a synth?
>
> It's time to trot out Monosynth again, and this time I'd like to
> customize its MIDI controls, and I usually do this via a Python
> script that converts MIDI to OSC. But somehow I have to find out
> what parameters are exposed via OSC first.

DSSI doesn't specify a reflection capability, and I don't know of any
hosts that provide it on their own. Something you can do is run
ghostess in debug mode from an xterm (use '-debug 64' to show the OSC
communication), move the controls you're interested in, and pick the
OSC parameters out of the debug output;

$ DSSI_PATH=/usr/local/lib/dssi ghostess -debug 64 xsynth-dssi.so
. . .
ghostess: OSC: got update request from <osc.udp://mickey.jps.net:
14056/dssi/xsynth-dssi/Xsynth/inst00>
ghostess OSC control handler: xsynth-dssi/Xsynth/inst00 port 6 =
0.666667
. . .
ghostess osc_configure_handler: UI for 'xsynth-dssi/Xsynth/inst00'
sent 'monophonic', 'on'
. . .

A quick way to get a listing of a plugin's ports and their ranges is
the LADSPA 'analyseplugin' command:

$ LADSPA_PATH=/usr/local/lib/dssi analyseplugin xsynth-dssi.so

Adjust your DSSI path as needed. Hope that helps,

-Sean