Re: [LAU] Samples + Synthesis synth?

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 17 2010 - 05:29:19 EEST

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 00:08 +0100, Andrew C wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Anyone know of any linux synths out there that combine samples with
> synthesis? I was thinking sort of like Sequential Circuit's Prophet
> VS?

I don't think it's quite what you're after, but Specimen is a sampler
with some synthesis features -- it has a resonant lowpass filter, and it
has envelopes and LFOs for just about every paramater (including volume,
panning, pitch, and filter cutoff/resonance)

http://zhevny.com/specimen/

I put together a quick screencast tutorial for it, which you can find
here:

http://blag.linuxgamers.net/?p=469

Another option might be Whysynth -- any of its four oscillators can be
set to one of a bunch of built-in complex waveforms, though I don't
think you can easily add your own waveforms.

Thanks
Leigh