Re: [LAU] Fedora 12 & CCRMA

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 17 2010 - 08:35:34 EEST

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 23:59 -0400, Rick Green wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2010, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>
> > For starters tell us which soundcard you have, that could help
> > ("cat /proc/asound/cards").
> >
> [rtg@email-addr-hidden ~]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [SI7012 ]: ICH - SiS SI7012
> SiS SI7012 with ALC655 at irq 18

Thanks. I don't think I have worked with this one before.

> > Do you have a .wav file handy? You could try playing that using aplay.
> > That is, in a terminal type "aplay NAME_OF_WAV_FILE.wav". Do you get
> > sound? Any errors? Is the level up? (there should be a small "speaker"
> > icon in your top panel, use it to bring up the level).
> Well, it seems to be working now. I mounted my home partition from the
> US10.04 system, and began to wander thru it looking for .wav files. When
> I encountered one, as soon as I hovered the mouse over it, I began to hear
> the piece coming from my speakers.
>
> I then went to the 'sound' preferences panel, and clicked on the various
> alert sonds presented there. Each one played itself just fine. This
> particular exercise is the one that 'confirmed' to me that it wasn't
> working an hour ago. No changes since then other than a reboot.

Most probably whatever happened to jack (with regards to the sound card)
completely hoses the system (driver/hardware/whatever). This is good in
the sense basic audio seems to be working.

Jack uses the most efficient way to access the soundcard and some
hardware is not good enough.

> > AFAIK fc12 uses the "normal" grub? I'm not sure. _Some_ distro had
> > switched to grub2 but I don't know which. Argh.......
> >
> I got around that by booting from the US10.04 DVD and selecting 'rescue',
> then re-writing its MBR to the second HDD. Now I can use the BIOS boot
> menu to select which HDD to look at, and I've got a triple-boot system
> again.
>

> Moving on -
> I launched Ardour, opening the 'test' session I had started earlier.

Well, I would __first__ try testing out jack and making sure it works.
Once it starts and runs solidly, then try other things. Ardour with a
non-working jack will not do much (which is what is happening to you).
Start small. Did you try the simple command line I suggested?:

  jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:0

(which could even be "jackd -d alsa -d hw:0", you don't need rt to test)

Does it start? What does it print? (add "-v" for more details). Is there
anything in the output of dmesg after running that that looks like a
kernel error?

What I would try if that does not work (and you may need to reboot if it
really messes up things again) is:

  jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:0 -p 1024 -n 3

That would increase the number of periods to 3 (you can also try 4)
which seems to make some cards work (specially hda variants). Depends on
the hardware...

-- Fernando