Re: [LAU] Samples + Synthesis synth?

From: Malte Steiner <steiner@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 17 2010 - 20:35:24 EEST

Hi,

>> Anyone know of any linux synths out there that combine samples with
>> synthesis? I was thinking sort of like Sequential Circuit's Prophet VS?
>
> The Prophet boils down to what you'd call a "Virtual Analog" synth. The
> innards are digital, but the ideas are modeled after the way that analog
> synths were done.

Thats not correct. The Prophet VS is a hybrid synth, digital oscillators
plus real analogue filters, my favorite combination actually. That
hybrid approach lives on in Dave Smiths Evolver (which again is no VA)
and in the Spectralis. These digital oscillators didnt ape analogue ones
and even alias a bit.

Prophet VS like sounds (typical glassy sounds) can be archived with
Minicomputer softsynth too but you cant feed in samples. It has some
single cycle waveforms which alias a lot and can be formed well with the
filters.

Virtual Analogue tries to simulate analogue sounds via software but that
kind of DSP processing was not affordable for mass market in 1986 when
the VS was released. Typically VA oscillators are band limited to avoid
aliasing. From all mentioned software I think AMS is closest to be a VA.

Cheers,

Malte

--
----