Re: [LAU] Samples + Synthesis synth?

From: philicorda <philicorda@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 19 2010 - 17:47:54 EEST

On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 01:47 +0200, Malte Steiner wrote:
> On 18.05.2010 00:46, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 23:45 +0200, Malte Steiner wrote:
> >> hopefully I get my Emulator II working again. When it worked, the hybrid
> >> sound was amazing. Another hybrid sampler/synths, just for the fun of
> >> it: (Samplers are underrated at the moment and cheap to get second hand)
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > No Cheetah SX16? No Akai S612? No Yamaha TX-16W?
> >
> Not sure about Cheetah. True for the Akai. The TX has digital filters, I
> still have one in my studio. It loads filter coefficient tables from
> disk and there was a DOS software to create you own, I tried it once or
> twice. It was one of the inspirations for Minicomputer...

The Casio FZ1 is another underrated old sampler. It has the most
distinctive resonant filters I've ever heard. Really brutal and
distorted!

They are a strange analog/digital hybrid design, which leads many to
think they are digital filters. In fact they are a switched capacitor
design, as far I as can tell. On the schematic the filter/dca chips are
after the D/A converter/sample and holds.