Re: [LAU] Fedora 12 & CCRMA

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 20 2010 - 19:48:11 EEST

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Scott <lau@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Each jack enabled application would have to adopt that behavior. I
> consider jack to be the baseline sound routing system that should start
> after login. Then I can fire up a dozen jack enabled apps and patch them as
> I see fit.

That's one of the things I like about qtractor. I can start it up without
qjackctl if I want -- without selecting any patches or hooking up anything.
In qtractor, all the basic connections and patching are part of the template
I set qtractor to launch with (View->Options->Display->Session).
Furthermore, loading a .qtr file for a song will contain the patchbay
information needed to connect to the appropriate midi ports, synths&
instrument definitions, plugin softsynths, etc. You conveniently click on
the "input" or "output" buttons in the mixer panel,. and it'll show you the
specific jack connection associated with the selected input or output. No
more rats nest of connections to trace through in qjackctl -- I end up using
it more now as an overview of all my connections and use qtractor to setup
specific connections.

So basically, you can just launch qtractor. load your project/song, and be
good to go. You don't have to load&activate a separate patchbay .xml file in
qjackctl in order to connect up whatever you need connected for a particular
session (and remember to associate the patchbay .xml file with your DAW
session). If you want to launch qjackctl to work with qtractor, they work
well together too, but if you forget to launch jack, qtractor will do it for
you. It's really a nice new level of integration we're getting -- an
incremental improvement over a standalone qjackctl.

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com