Re: [LAU] It's time to release The Salamander Grand Piano

From: alexander <axeldenstore@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 22 2010 - 17:54:27 EEST

On 05/22/2010 05:42 PM, Marco Asa wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2010 00:55:05 +0200
> Philipp Überbacher<hollunder@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> Excerpts from Marco Asa's message of 2010-05-21 21:49:26 +0200:

>>> I imagined there wasn't anything native for linux, thank you for the
>>> answer.
>>>
>> I read that it's just text, so it should be doable. I just looked at
>> SalamanderGrandPiano.sfz and it doesn't look very arcane, just a bunch
>> of c/p and editing work.
>>
> This is good, thank you, I found the format definition at
> http://www.cakewalk.com/devxchange/sfz.asp
> Considering that text editing powered by scripts and regexp
> could be much faster of gigedit interface, I have definetly to look at
> it.

Gigedit is quite good as long as you're careful when using the "apply to
all regions" and "apply to dimension splits" check boxes. It's however
not fast when adding samples and regions and dimension as there is no
copy/paste. I originally was gonna use giga too but at one point the
editor started to behave really odd. There was some unexplainable issue
with regions only "seeing" one release velocity layer. Also, I now have
two separate release samples, harmonic string resonance and the hammer
action. The harmonic releases also comes in 3 different layers, 2
veolocity layers that have a high rt_decay value ("The volume decay
amount when the region is set to play in *release* trigger mode, in
decibels per second since note-on message.") and one that has a low
rt_decay value, this is not doable with giga. As far as I know you can't
even have 2 separate release samples so you would have to mix the hammer
noise and harmonic releases samples down into one sample.

For making sfz files there is also a ruby script called "sfzer" I have
not tried this tho and I expect you can't make very advanced instruments
with it.

We should put some pressure on the linuxsampler folks to do a new
release ;) with on_locc# and on_hicc# opcodes implemented. (those would
give pedal noise)