Re: [LAU] qjackctl fails to exit gracefully on UbuntuStudio 10.4

From: John Ouzts <jouzts@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 31 2010 - 00:31:46 EEST

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Raine M. Ekman <raine@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Are you getting bus errors from other programs and weird window and
> keyboard behavior in GNOME as well? I had something like this happening just
> yesterday, reading this gave some insight:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jack-audio-connection-kit/+bug/491329
>
> Exiting PA (pacmd exit) and deleting /dev/shm/pulse* before starting
> qjackctl seems to do the trick for me. I upgraded my Ubuntustudio from 9.10,
> so YMMV.
>
> --
> Raine M. Ekman ...... raine@email-addr-hidden
> the Radio Project ...
> http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=36109&displ_lang=en

Raine,

Thank you. "du -m /dev/shm" shows 320 megabytes of memory locked out by
pulseaudio, even after its processes have been killed. So my mileage did
not vary at all.

Are you putting the "/usr/bin/pacmd exit; rm /dev/shm pulse*" script into
the qjackctl>Setup>Options box? The default script has long been
"artsshell -terminate" which I always thought was to kill the ancient KDE
arts daemon. If so, that option could use an update. I suppose the
replacement
script would need to be setuid, since at least one of the pulseaudio files
could not be removed as user. That in turn, I think, means this needs to be
compiled program rather than a shell script for security reasons. Does that
make sense?

Again many thanks,

John