Re: [LAU] a NEW question about pitch and speed

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 31 2010 - 22:52:08 EEST

On 31 May 2010 at 12:39, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Incorrect sample rate?

One would thing so. But, I'm using only consumer targeted
software, where nobody would even know what sample rate was, let
alone how to change it. The two progs that had trouble were
Firefox and Amarok.

> I've had this problem when having my jackd set to a different
> sample rate than, say, fluidsynth.
>
> Perhaps your media player does not resample, or is getting
> confused based on what ALSA is reporting as a sample rate?
>
> Are you using ALSA, or JACK, or Pulse, or what?

Unlike my recording system, this one doesn't use JACK, only ALSA
with PulseAudio

> Also, do other players have this problem (i.e. mplayer, aplay,
> etc.) or just the one you normally use?

I noticed the trouble when using firefox, then tried Amarok and
found the same symptom.

> How much is the pitch off, exactly? If you have a guitar tuner,
> playing a sine wave and then placing the guitar tuner in front
> of the speakers might tell you how off exactly it is. If it's
> off by, say, the same ratio as 44.1/48, then there's your
> answer.

I didn't check, but it seemed like maybe a 4th or 5th down?

> I really doubt it's any kind of hardware problem. Sounds to me
> like a sample rate glitch.

Like Igor, a reboot fixed my symptom. I'll be taking the cover
off soon to look for large balls of dust, and I'll clean it out
just to be safe.

I'll also go find the lm_sensors howto and get that config'd so
that I can see what's going on inside this machine. The fan has
been getting louder, in a way that tells me that it's working
harder, not that the bearings are failing.

Being a hardware engineer I'm the first to blame software! ;-)
But, I still gotta at least look at the hardware.

Thanks....

--
Kevin