Re: [LAU] Campaign: "The most remarkable album on this entire planet"

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 01 2010 - 15:25:44 EEST

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:18 AM, drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I am not so sure about that. If you have a following, your fans may still
> want
> to come to a show where all you do is play your music for them from a CD or
> whatever and talk about it with them. Think about an independent filmmaker
> screening their new film. They may very well value your time and
> interaction
> with them enough to pay for a concert.

case in point: steve roach, an ambient electronic musician (of prolific
output) is someone who i will generally no longer go and see live, because
his pieces are impossible to perform live. he ends up mostly just running a
mixing desk and adding a layer from time time. even in context of st. mary's
church in philadelphia, where you can lie on the floor and zone out, its
really just not worth my time - i get a better experience listening to mr
roach at home (in bed, or in the studio/office - ardour owes a lot to him).

however, on one occasion he did a show here in philadelphia at st. mary's
where there was a Q&A session, and i absolutely went to it. it was great. i
even put the "its not worth me seeing you live" perspective to him, and he
was very understanding :)

--p