Re: [LAU] Campaign: "The most remarkable album on this entire planet"

From: Aaron Krister Johnson <aaron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 01 2010 - 17:20:00 EEST

Hey Leonard,

I just want to say, seconding Lorenzo: best of luck to you! I know your
software (aldrin), but not your music---will check it out. I gather you are
good at what you do, so I'm looking forward to it.

This music biz is amazingly difficult. I still primarily earn through
teaching (I'm a fine pianist) and a steady weekend gig at a Synagogue. I
have an project, a non-for-profit concert organization called UnTwelve (
www.untwelve.org), so I know how hard it is to fund interesting, even
extremely worthy projects. I admire anyone with the gusto to try, especially
if they back it up with excellence.

I for one have no problem with you asking for financial help in this forum.
I may or may not be able to help (I'm trying to keep all my $$$ resources on
my own project, and that's hard enough!) BUT--I will say that I can
certainly be an ally in getting your music project(s) attention by letting
my network of peeps know about it!

All best,
AKJ

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Lorenzo <lsutton@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi Leonard,
>
> First of all let me say I respect and admire what you're trying to
> accomplish and wish you all the best.
>
> That said, I think much of the flame started because of misunderstanding.
> From what I can see you are seeking for sponsorship/donations to produce
> your CC open-source-based music. IMHO there's nothing bad with that: I'm
> happy that people like Monteverdi, Purcell, Vivaldi (to name a few) were
> sponsored in the past.
> I think some people misunderstood that, as you write
>
> we believe that financial interests interfere with quality, truth and
>> honesty in art, and we wish to set an example.
>>

> which can be a point, but then you *do* need €1485/month for rent, food,
> insurances... etc. again nothing wrong with that at all.
> I guess many on this list would like to quit their every-day jobs and only
> do music.. but there's that rent food etc. waiting :).. and I know people
> for whom that can be an artistic and "honest" stimulus to make art/music as
> much as wealthy pop-stars (remember also blues and work-songs started partly
> with exploited people who had nothing but their music...)
>
> All the best and kind regards,
> Lorenzo.
>

> Leonard Ritter wrote:
>
>> Okay. This is not the discussion I wanted to start. Allow me to break
>> down my original message into simple commands:
>>
>> 1. Visit http://the-album.cc
>> 2. Check out what we do.
>> 3. Find that we are totally cool people and talented altruists.
>> 4. Give us all your cash.
>> 5. Receive incredibly well produced album on November 5th. Have aural
>> orgasms. Multiple.
>> 6. Receive CD on December 1st*
>> 7. Show this to all your Windows- and Mac-loving enemies and laugh in
>> their faces**
>> 8. ???
>> 9. Profit!
>>
>> * ever noticed an asterisk in an offering where you couldn't find the
>> associated fine print, leaving you with a slight uneasy feeling? this
>> is such an asterisk.
>> ** don't start an argument with me! of course you pity them for their
>> smug "i'm just thinking practical" attitude and their moral
>> inferiority. No? Well, I do. This will show them!

Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.akjmusic.com
http://www.untwelve.org