Re: [LAU] the swinger

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 02 2010 - 20:55:12 EEST

By the way, your script mentions that QmVampPlugins are not open source:

http://all-day-breakfast.com/m/swing.sh
# any plugin that produces beat times will work here;
# qm-vamp-plugins:qm-barbeattracker:beats is usually more stable than
# this, but it's not open source so I didn't use it here

Where http://isophonics.net/QMVampPlugins says "These plugins are
provided in binary form only and may be used for any purpose, or
redistributed for non-commercial purposes only." -- so I guess I'm
good if the QmVampPlugin is provided as a "web service API" (e.g.
http://nielsmayer.com/ts-episode-timeline.png ) since I'm not
redistributing any binaries -- just data produced by vamp --> JSON,
like http://www.isophonics.net/sawa/ but also very different as I'm
focusing on immediately usable and ready-to-hand AJAX-style Javascript
UIs for the data.

What is confusing is how come there are Linux distros that are
distributing the QmVampPlugins in binary form? Are they "out of
compliance" or do they have a special deal with http://qmul.ac.uk ?
Any chance you can convince your colleagues to outright open-source
them so they can be included in distros like Fedora? ("Version 1.6.1 –
Copyright 2005-2009 Christian Landone, Martin Gasser, Chris Cannam,
Christopher Harte, Matthew Davies, Katy Noland, Thomas Wilmering, Wen
Xue, Ruohua Zhou, and QMUL.")

And yes, it's perfect that the VampPlugins provide such good timing
info. One of the fun things to do with my Vamp-Plugin consuming web
interface is to use segment or beat points to reorder, loop, or remix
internet sounds, which happens to be a nice side-effect of the project
I'm trying to launch, though not the intent of the project.... I call
it the "internet sampler feature"

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com

PS: I think it would be great if all major linux DAWs (esp.
rosegarden, qtractor, ardour) had a generic "audio event timing bus"
that would allow VampPlugins to analyze audio, and generate visual
tags/markers/hints on any audio segments used within the DAW.