Re: [LAU] I just don't know Jack anymore.

From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabrbedd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 06 2010 - 23:11:05 EEST

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010, Ken Restivo wrote:

>> Jack+Debian: This situation will be improving. Probably won't be in
>> time for squeeze, though. Not a simple problem to fix, though... because
>> applications have to link to /something/ -- and the library follows the
>> jackd implementation.
>>

> Wait, what? All the apps have to be recompiled in order to
> switch jack implementations?

No, they don't have to be recompiled.

From a packaging point-of-view, that's what makes it so
hard. I'm not at all an expert on the subject, but the
confusion goes something like this:

Package `cool_tracker` requires `libjack0`

`libjack0` is supplied by Jack1 _and_ Jack2. If you switch
jackd's, you have to switch libjack0. So, then you get
something like:

    libjack0-jack1 (provides libjack0)
    libjack0-jack2 (provides libjack0)

Suppose user does:

    $ apt-get cool_tracker

Now, which one gets installed by default?

And when a someone packages `cool_tracker`

    $ gcc -o cool_tracker `pkg-config --cflags --libs jack` cool_tracker.c

Then cool_tracker has a link to /usr/lib/libjack.so.0

So... you have to make sure that the .deb package says it
needs the virtual libjack0 package instead of libjack0-jack2
(which is what the packager has installed).

THEN, you run into ABI issues between Jack1 and Jack2.
Theoretically, there should be none -- but last I
check, Jack2 is missing some of Jack1's symbols.

-gabriel