Re: [LAU] [LAD] Ardour/Jack issue on Ubuntu Jaunty netbook

From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabrbedd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 07 2010 - 22:37:06 EEST

Hi Aaron,

(FYI, I dropped the LAD list in replying.)

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Aaron Krister Johnson wrote:

> I have a young bright-eyed, bright-eared 12-year old composition student
> working on a ASUS EEE-PC netbook. On my advice he switched over to Ubuntu
[snip]
> 1) Ardour works fine as it should 90% of the time, except on a netbook, the
> windows fail to maximize correctly to available screen real estate (1024x600

Yes, a stock install of Ardour is too large to fit on a
1024x600 screen. You'll need a patched version of Ardour to
get it to fit nicely on the screen.

> I think), e.g., when you scroll down, you get the lowest ardour track
> leaving video trails, and basically it looks like a huge GTK bug of some
> sort---the interaction with the pointer of course becomes impossible. On my

This sounds like a video driver (xorg) problem, to me.
What's the video card in that thing?

> 2) My student is reporting that at least on his Ubuntu machine, he's having
> a problem getting sound consistently out of Ardour: sometimes, he says, the
> mixer seems to randomly disconnect the tracks from the "Master Out" bus, and
> sometimes he reports that jack misbehaves and that he cannot reconnect to
> it. I'm going to try to get to the bottom of it, but I can report that I've
> experienced similar things on rare occasions (Ardour 2.8.7, and jack 0.118.0
> on Arch, maybe Ubuntu has other destructive aspects?), although I'm much

Did you install a low-latency kernel?

Also, I would consider switching to Jack2, since it won't
kick you out if there's a hiccup.

-gabriel