Re: [LAU] turning a consumer soundcard into "prosumer" w/ quasi-balanced outs

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Thu Jun 10 2010 - 10:57:29 EEST

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 10:03 PM, <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> You convinced yourself of _what_ ?

Purely subjectively, that whatever it is that constitutes "the magic
of the vinyl sound" is still there when recorded onto a computer, and
indeed even when encoded to mp3. (assuming decent hardware and
quality settings throughout.)

I haven't actually proven that I can't distinguish between a record
and a digital recording of that record... just done enough to silence
that bit of the vinyl mystic in me.

Even so, I still like "the act of putting on the record".

Chris