Re: [LAU] audacity alternative?

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 11 2010 - 17:58:05 EEST

On 06/11/2010 03:57 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>> On 06/11/2010 03:16 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>
>>> most pressing problem is the fact that I get lots of XRUN errors which
>>> clip the sound so a notmal mix cannot be made. I cannot understand why
>
>> Hello joep,
>>
>> What type of soundcard are you using? And what are your current JACK
>> settings? These settings are stored in your home folder, in the C
>> file, could you post the content of that file?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Jeremy
>>

> Jere,y,
> Thanks for your speedy reply.
> I use the build-in sound card which is advertised as
> the NVIDIA MCP72XE/MCP72P/MCP78U/MCP78S High Definition Audio.
>
> I know I should buy a more sophisticated card but boards like the
> Terratec DMX6fire24/96 or M-Audio Delta 410 have prices here in Holland
> which are way over the prices you pay (€189,00 is the cheapest).
> Moreover I use it to edit using headphones as audio output for computers
> is, in my opinion very bad or you use a pair of studio monitors (I use
> Yamaha 60 W as output boxes for my E-piano for use in small rooms. As
> I'm a jazz-pianist and people prefer to listen so you don't need
> decibels to go over crowd noise!). But those are expensive.
> My jack settings are:
> /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2.
> I hope you can help me out.
> Joep

Hello Joep,

The cards you mention are fairly old, their modern counterparts are more
affordable and cheaper in shops like Feedback (or Thomann if you prefer
buying on the internet).
The onboard card should work properly with those JACK settings. Maybe it
helps to disable CPU frequency scaling (the ondemand service) or to set
it to 'Performance" with the help of the CPU Frequency Scaling panel
applet for Gnome (assuming you're using Gnome).

Groet,

Jeremy