Re: [LAU] digital volume sounds better at 0 dB?

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Fri Jun 18 2010 - 21:26:27 EEST

Hi!
   I can't really tell, what exactly should happen. But a digital volume is
best kep around 0DB (no attenuation). Easy to explain: In digital sound, all
the samples are numbers (usually integer, meaning just whole numbers).
   So the smaller you compress the realm of numbers (say from max 32768 to
50%), the differences in volume you can perceive are not as fine. If you get
really low down, the sound should be quite ugly. something akin to distortion,
if amplified.
   I don't know about your bassy audiofeeling, but mayhap that's a side
effect,I just don't see, because I'm stupid when it comes to the finer points.
:-)
   Kindly yours
           Julien

--------