Re: [LAU] A Bach in appology and completeness :-)

From: Joep L. Blom <jlblom@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 22 2010 - 00:42:39 EEST

Niels Mayer wrote:
<snip>
> I'll let people decide which is which, and which sounds better or more
> realistic and piano-like:
> http://nielsmayer.com/npm/chpn_op53_gnulem.ogg
> http://nielsmayer.com/npm/chpn_op53_coggie.ogg
>
> Both created from:
> ## file ~/Music/piano-midi/chpn_op53.mid
> /home/npm/Music/piano-midi/chpn_op53.mid: Standard MIDI data (format
> 1) using 8 tracks at 1/480
>
> Niels
> http://nielsmayer.com
>
> PS: When using kmid to listen to the piano-only MIDI files from
> http://piano-midi.de/ -- they're all very quiet. since the overall
> volume level on the Yamaha db60xg is adjusted for playing multiple
> (16) simultaneous tracks of "pop" music as opposed to a single
> piano.... So after running "kmid *.mid *.MID", I quit kmid, and run
> the following script to set all the volumes to 200% on these files:
> ## with this setting, set Terratec DMX6Fire ADC2(LineL)/ADC3(LineR)
> ## to 135/135 (normally 127/127 == unity gain)
> cd ~/.kde/share/apps/kmid/songlib
> sed -i 's|^volume=100|volume=200|' `grep -l piano-midi *.cfg`
>
> Afterwards, running kmid on these files will automatically have the
> volume level at a more normal leve (200%), which is still well below
> clipping on most files I've auditioned using unity gain on the
> soundcard input.

Niels,
As pianist (jazz) i have listened to your recordings. In the first place
I'm amazed what you can do with MIDI and samples. I have no idea how you
did it but from your explanation a gather that you used a midi recording
from someone else and than processed it, but I can be wrong.
 From a pianist viewpoint I don't think anyone will ever play it in this
fashion.
I prefer the "coggie" version as it sounds more natural without the
abrupt silences which are very remarkable in the "gnulem" version.
The "coggie" version has much more dynamics, although for my taste the
differences are sometimes too abrupt and no pianist will play this piece
in this manner (listen to e.g Martha Agerich, or (much older) Rubinstein
or Lang-lang (very popular but a phenomenal pianist) and you will hear
what I mean.
Nevertheless very interesting recordings showing what you can do with
digital processing.
Joep