[LAU] tuning aeolus (was Re: A Bach in appology and completeness :-))

From: Aaron Krister Johnson <aaron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 22 2010 - 05:56:50 EEST

Hey all,

Since the subject of temperaments and tunings came up I just wanted to
mention that I'm such a passionate devotee of non-12-equal tunings and
microtonality, that I started an organization called UnTwelve (
www.untwelve.org), whose mission is to program and educate people on music
in various different tunings and temperaments.

You'll also be interested to know that I hacked on Aeolus 6 years or so ago
and added a custom Just Intonation scale using only the 3rd and 7th
harmonics. The results can be heard at:

http://www.akjmusic.com/audio/theatre_work/PeerGynt/07_troll_music.mp3

to explore some of my other stuff, check out the general portal to my music
at

http://www.akjmusic.com/works.html

Cheers,
Aaron.

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 7:07 PM, <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi Julien,
>
> > Is it easy to change the temperament setting by hand? And does
> > Werckmeister III still sound OK with other instruments tuned the
> > modern (equally or is ti well tempered) way?
>
> It's easy to change. Edit the file stops-***/Aeolus/definition.
> Near the top you'll find a line
>
> /tuning 440.0 1
>
> The second number is an index into the list in my previous
> post, starting at zero. You'll find it as well in scales.cc.
>
> Werckmeister III will probably work well in most cases.
> To test, play something in A flat. The main problem with
> Meantone is the Ab-C-Eb chord (just try it !).
>
> If you want to switch easily, you could for example create
> a directory stops-***/Aeolus-ET, copy the definition file
> there and set it to Equal Temperament. Then use the -I
> command line option to select this one.
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA