Re: [LAU] Software for recording digital audio?

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 23 2010 - 05:43:22 EEST

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 07:56:46AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Andrew C wrote:
>>
>> I'm in a bit of dilemma here, my machine has only 1 GB of RAM and I'm
>> running linuxsampler, rakarrack and bristol with rosegarden sequencing
>> all of them together. As you can imagine, this does stretch my
>> machine's resources a fair bit, so I find myself needing to
>> bounce-to-audio. Any software out there that can do this relatively
>> painlessly?
>>
>> This might be a bug in Rosegarden (10.04.2) or my version of jackdmp
>> (1.9.6), but when I try to do it in Rosegarden, I found that the
>> recorded audio tends to record previously recorded wav files and other
>> such oddities.
>> So I am looking for a relatively lightweight alternative or is this
>> just a case of 'Yep, just use ardour!'?
>>

> Ecasound rocks my world :
>
> http://www.eca.cx/ecasound/
>
> 1st-rate recording software for the CLI.

Ecasound _is_ very lightweight.

According to 'pmap', Ecasound consumes about 19MB on my system
at startup.

If simple recording is all you need, Ecasound, or one of the
other alternatives mentioned is fine.

If you want Ecasound with some added convenience features,
I'll put in a mention for Nama.[1]

Starting up Nama consumes about 55MB of memory
in the text-only mode, and 75MB of memory in
the GUI+text mode.

Regards,

Joel

[1] http://freeshell.de/~bolangi/cgi1/nama.cgi/00home.html