Re: [LAU] OT: Microphone choice for pipe organ

From: Jonathan Gazeley <jonathan.gazeley@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 24 2010 - 01:39:01 EEST

On 06/23/2010 10:11 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> if you're recording in that church frequently, see if they're willing
> shell out the money for a pair of decent omnis and maybe you can hang
> them (semi-)permanently, where they don't show too badly or present
> tripping hazards. often, high microphone positions sound nicer for
> stereo reproduction, too.

Not a bad idea. I'll see what I can do.

> interesting!
>
> having listened to the xy samples, i'd say there is some room for
> improvement with the microphones :)

Yes, indeed. These cheap dynamic cardioids were not my first choice, but
all I could lay my hands on at short notice. I think they're intended
for PA use really.

> if you have to stick with your cardioids, try moving them a little more
> to the back, so that you pick up more reverb and less direct sound - i
> think this will make the sound a lot more pleasant and elegant.

I tried moving the mics back and forth a little from the organ. I found
that too far from the organ, the organ sounded "lost" in a huge sea of
reverb. Moving just that little bit (less than 1m) towards the organ
made it a lot drier, but cleaner.

I figured I could add digital reverb if necessary - but eventually
decided against. Most of the recordings include a choir, and mixing the
choir and organ sounds a lot more mellow than the organ on its own.

I don't know if this sea of reverb was an effect of using a single
(mono) microphone - it wasn't so severe with the XY dynamics.

Based on Jörn's advice I will attempt to somehow get hold of a pair of
omnis. I don't know if anyone can tell me - if I use an XY pair for the
choir and an AB pair for the organ, is it OK to simply mix the two
stereo feeds?

Cheers!
Jonathan