Re: [LAU] recording webradio

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 25 2010 - 05:20:01 EEST

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 02:51:25PM +0200, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> assume some of you has lots of experience with this simple problem.
> I want (need) to record an internet transmission of a certain concert
> next sunday.
> I can receive the 'sender' and listen to it using vlc no problem.
> However, i cannot find how to save the stream to a file (eventually for
> burning). A big ptoblem is that the interface of vlc is completely
> different from the interface presented in the documentation.
> My system: AMD Phenom II (4-core) 4Gb mem. Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic).
> I have ample space to record (>1 Tb).
> Can anybody give me directions how to record this stream which has the
> following specs:
> Codec wma2; channels stereo; sample rate 48000 Hz; 16 bits.
> It is sufficient to burn it later to a CD.
> Joep

What I used to do earlier in the decade, was run shoutcast as a proxy. I had it set up to only connect upstream when I connected to it from downstream. I'd start up an mplayer pointing at my shoutcast, and listen happily (mplayer being my main media player).

If I liked a song, I had written a script that just netcat'ed from that same port on my shoutcast, and dumped it to disk, then wget'ted and perl/awk/sed scraped from the streaming station's webpage the name and artist of the song, and renamed the file to that. Done.

It reminded me of my junior-high-school days of listening to the radio connected to a 1/4" reel-to-reel player running at 1-3/4 ips, idling in pause mode, and kicking the transport out of pause mode as soon as a song came on that I wanted to tape.

C-30, C-60, C-90, go!

-ken