Re: [LAU] Sound quality with different music players

From: Florian Faber <faber@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 25 2010 - 13:40:39 EEST

On 06/25/10 12:08, bl4 wrote:

> Suppose I have cheap onboard soundcard and cheap speakers, two different
> music players (for example mpd and mplayer) with the same output
> interface (both using alsa or both using oss compatibility layer), no
> resampling, filters or anything, with dmix disabled and no other
> software mixers. Is it normal (or possible) that for the same audio
> files each player will produce noticeably different (in terms of
> quality) sound? In other words, does the choice of music player have any
> impact on final sound quality?

If the data is identical: No.

If you play back compressed data, and the players use different methods
for uncompressing/reconstruction, the resulting PCM stream may differ.
And then you *may* hear a difference.

Flo

--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key DA43FEF4          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net