Re: [LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

From: Andrew C <countfuzzball@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 29 2010 - 20:55:49 EEST

Mark,

For what it's worth, if you download (for free) a Beatles/Stones/Pink Floyd
album, they aren't exactly losing royalties, y''know? Also, if you are
downloading one of their albums and NOT other starving artists' albums, then
there is no lost sale toward that artist.

On a similar note, shouldn't we just totally lobby against youtube for
copyright violations and loss of sales etc for hosting videos containing
songs by these young, screwed-by-the-record-label artists (Lady Gaga for
example). But, last time I checked, nobody seems to, and neither are any of
the visitors to the pages that contain the videos getting sued for illegally
downloading copyrighted material etc.

Also, I do agree with Louigi. Should there be a mandatory price on
creativity?

Andrew.