Re: [LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 30 2010 - 08:25:24 EEST

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 5:47 AM, drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> To be fair, do those games and movies depend currently on copyright?
>
> all the best,
>
> drew

Hey drew!
Yep, I think those do. My friend often writes music for Nintendo DS games,
those are covered by copyright.
But this is not the point because my friend never receives royalties, he
gets a one time pay for his job.
Also, I would argue that Nintendo DS games, for instance, rely more on being
attached to the device rather
than on copyright.
Of course, one can say that if there was no copyright, then people would not
want to release games and then
no composer would be hired to write music for them. But this is a false
argument as it implies that copyright
is an incentive for making games, when its not. Games were created before
copyright, they are created now
and they will be created after copyright.

--
Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/