Re: [LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 30 2010 - 18:27:30 EEST

On Wednesday 30 June 2010 10:43:41 Dave Phillips wrote:
> You do understand that the FSF takes a strong stand on copyright
> violation ?

But they would be happy if programs were not subject to copyright protection
at all.

> Whatever you or I might believe about copyright law, the FSF
> clearly understands that it protects projects like Linux. Money is not
> the only issue in the misappropriation of what is called intellectual
> property. The FSF perceives stuff like Linux as intellectual property,

You really should not put words into their mouths. They are strongly opposed
to the term "intellectual property."

Well, at least RMS: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.html

> entitled to copyright protection by law, and they enforce action against
> violators of the GPL, and with the same justification taken by the
> greedy record companies. It's law, and it applies to the good and bad
> alike.

Well, the freedoms they want for code would exist without copyright, but since
we have copyright, they use copyright to protect those freedoms. (Their
thinking from what I can tell.)

all the best,

drew