Re: [LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 01 2010 - 01:30:49 EEST

On 30 June 2010 at 18:23, PMA <PeterArmstrong@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Has this thread distinguished between Copyright and Patent?

I don't think we've gone down the road of patents yet.

> As I understand, it is the latter that makes ideas property.

So does the former.

But, the notion that discovering a gene (sequence) in an organism
could be patented is about as insane to me as to say that Columbus
should own the new world because he discovered it, even though some
would dispute that as well.

[I'd better start round-filing this OT thread now that I threw fuel
on the fire. ;-)]

--
Kevin