Re: [LAU] Music made on (with?) linux (and windows and mac!).

From: Giuseppe Zompatori <siliconjoe@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 02 2010 - 11:29:23 EEST

2010/7/2 Andrew C <countfuzzball@email-addr-hidden>:
> Hey list,
>
> I recently discovered Ninjam, a non-realtime (non realtime in the sense you
> play over the previous bar that someone else played and vice versa) internet
> jamming app available for linux, windows and mac. Software is Open-source
> and licensed under the GPL (which version, I'll have to check the sources)
> and the audio generated from licenced under the " Attribution,
> Noncommercial, Share Alike Creative Commons License v2.5".
>
> Inb4 license flamewars.
>
> Anyway, I find it absolutely great fun jamming with all sorts of people with
> all sorts of instruments (trumpet, anyone?). A JACK-ified version was also
> hacked together by a kind soul on the forums (absolute god-send!).
>
> Now back to the topic. Basically, all the jams are automatically recorded,
> cut up and placed onto the website and can be streamed here:
> http://autosong.ninjam.com/
>
> I had this absolutely hilarious solo duel with a guitarist who went by the
> name Will. Then a bass player, a second guitarist, trumpet player and drum
> machine joined in and it escalated from there. I was lucky enough to have
> recorded all 2 hours and 25 minutes of it or so, but it's probably already
> on the site (search a day or three back!).
>
> Ok, I'll shut up now!
>
> Andrew.

I've been doing ninjam & dueling with other guitar players since 2006,
see http://autosong.ninjam.com/index.php?search=gzed ;)
There's gninjam which is a grapical version of the console client
incase you don't know here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gninjam/
Also the falk ppa for ubuntu has it already packaged.

Cheers,

-Giuseppe