Re: [LAU] Music made on (with?) linux (and windows and mac!).

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 02 2010 - 14:32:07 EEST

On Thursday 01 July 2010 22:05:33 Andrew C wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> I recently discovered Ninjam, a non-realtime (non realtime in the sense you
> play over the previous bar that someone else played and vice versa)
> internet jamming app available for linux, windows and mac. Software is
> Open-source and licensed under the GPL (which version, I'll have to check
> the sources)

Last first and then I will comment on the above.

> and the audio generated from licenced under the " Attribution,
> Noncommercial, Share Alike Creative Commons License
> v2.5<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/>".

Seems a bit over the top to not allow the person starting the jam to set a
desired cc license.

Also seems dicey in that people could play stuff for which they don't hold a
copyright on.

Now to comment on the GPL bit in light of the cc license bit above.

Is the client GPL and the server not? If the server is available and GPL too,
someone could add in the license option bit and run it on a different site I
guess.

Does anyone know?

all the best,

drew