Re: [LAU] opinions from (potential) user perspectives wanted

From: James Morris <james@email-addr-hidden-art.net>
Date: Fri Jul 02 2010 - 16:47:39 EEST

On 2 July 2010 06:11, Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabrbedd@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010, James Morris wrote:
>
>>> Have you considered doing an MDI interface?  This way you can go back to
>>> spamming windows... but it stays contained in your applications
>>> MainWindow.
>>
>> No I'd not considered it. But as long as I could force the doc windows
>> to appear exactly where told it would work but this would probably
>> depend upon whichever window-manager was controlling windows. I'm not
>> keen.
>
> AFAIK, the windows inside the app are not controlled by the window manager
> at all.  You would have full control.
>
>>> I'm invisioning something very simple and flexible. Something that pretty
>>> much keeps 1/4 time.  Something that can also slave to the Jack
>>> transport.
>>
>> If doing that prevented me as a user from using it with more
>> interesting time signatures than 4/4 I'd be pretty hacked off.
>
> Really, I was thinking about allowing mismatched time signatures while still
> having the transport "keep the beat."
>
> For example, each window generates patterns in different time signatures at
> the same time (4/4, 5/4, 7/8, etc.).  If your transport is simply "keeping a
> beat" (1/4) then it's easy to do this.
>
> But if your transport is keeping 4/4 time... getting 5/4 and 7/8 to sync
> along isn't quite as simple.

It is currently initialized to 4/4 time but the intent is there to
allow any meter.

> Why would anyone want to do this?  A good example is 'Let Down' by Radiohead
> (from OK Computer).  The bell/guitar intro is in some strange meter.  The
> band comes in with a 4/4 time... and the way tha the bell/guitar part syncs
> is (IMHO) just plain interesting to listen to.

Ah I see. That makes sense. Not sure if you looked at the code or not,
but I have put provisions in for the patterns to have their own time
signature, as it is something I'm interested in experimenting with.

Still it raises some questions. This is fine if the app is timebase
master, then 1/4 time is guarantee-able, otherwise, the not quite so
simple approach to syncing 5/4 and 7/8 would be required.

It is something I've been wondering about without necessarily thinking
about syncing 5/4 and 7/8 together.

If in the app a pattern is edited with a 5/4 meter and the pattern is
precisely 1 bar long (ie 5 quarter notes right!?!?) then what if the
transport is playing at 4/4? Should the last beat in the 5/4 loop be
dropped, or should it just offset the start of the 5/4 loop each time?

Cheers,
James.