Re: [LAU] A weak link in the license chain: Releasing on false assumptions?

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 03 2010 - 09:36:25 EEST

Folderol wrote:

>> This sounds similar to the Novell/SCO lawsuit against Linux some years ago.
>>
>> Novell claimed that there were Unix headers in Linux, thus they owned Linux.
>>
>> As I recall, Linus fought it and won the suit.
>>
>> -ken
>
> You've got that arse about face. Novel has actually been the 'good guy'
> here - see http://www.Groklaw.net and look for SCO in the side bar.

Yah, it was SCO vs Novell. GrokLaw has all the details, but basically
SCO bought nothing more than a license to use and sell UNIX, not the
copyright. (I think the court has also held that SCO's suit against
Novell broke the terms of the agreement with Novell, thereby losing
their right to use and sell UNIX.

The other "good guy" in the sordid tale is another giant corporation - IBM.

Apparently big corporations aren't all bad all the time.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden