Re: [LAU] "discovery" on db50xg clones (NEC XR385); example/demos w/ analog modification

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 03 2010 - 20:36:41 EEST

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 1:48 AM, Gordon JC Pearce <gordonjcp@gjcp.net> wrote:
> Hang on a minute, these just take power and TTL-shifted MIDI to drive?
> And they're about ten quid shipped to the UK?
>
> Why have I not found out about these before?  I'm sure I had some old
> IBM cards with a daughtercard like that - must have a poke about in the
> shed...

Welcome to the cult of the db50xg:
http://www.dancetech.com/item.cfm?threadid=328

There's all sorts of ways to use this synthesizer -- I like the
convenience of having it hidden inside the computer w/ no cables other
than optical toslink coming out of the $1 dynex dx-sc51 hosting the
db50xg-clone. Others prefer them separate:
http://members.multiweb.nl/schaaijw/images/midi/db50xg-ext3.jpg
http://members.multiweb.nl/schaaijw/images/midi/db50xg-ext1.jpg

More info:

http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/html/mu10.html
("YAMAHA XG editable: MU10, DB50XG, SW60XG, QS300")
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/xgmasterclass.htm
(Creative Synthesis with Yamaha XG, pt 1)
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may04/articles/xgmasterclass.htm
(Creative Synthesis with Yamaha XG, pt 2)
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun04/articles/xgmasterclass.htm
(Creative Synthesis with Yamaha XG, pt 3)
http://www.soundonsound.com/soundbank/YamahaXG.php
(sound examples from above series, and MIDI producing those sounds)
http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/db50gde_276.doc
("THE DB50/SW60/MU10 GUIDE Written by : Nick Howes ... This guide
also contains notes for developers & system programmers.")

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com