Re: [LAU] OT: mineral wars in Congo

From: andy baxter <andy@email-addr-hidden-online.co.uk>
Date: Wed Jul 07 2010 - 11:08:09 EEST

On 07/07/10 08:55, Philipp Ãœberbacher wrote:
> The only problem with old gear is power consumption. I don't know what's
> worse from a purely ecological point of view. Most power is still
> generated from non-renewable sources.

I think it's pretty hard to say - any comparison of this sort ends up
comparing two or more quite different problems (e.g. global warming from
fossil fuel use versus local water pollution from copper mining). People
try to put numbers on this sort of thing, but the methods they use are
often pretty suspect.

andy