Re: [LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 07 2010 - 17:21:44 EEST

On Wednesday 07 July 2010 09:09:51 Hartmut Noack wrote:
> So there should be a better system to make sure the work of artists will
> be compensated if you want fulltime artists.
>
> And such work is scarce, because you need to have people working for
> months to get an album filled with ideas manifested in actual
> recordings.

First we have a word issue here. What is the meaning you are using for the
word "work" in the phrase:

"And such work is scarce"?

Works of art may be naturally scarce, but copies of works of art are not.
Especially digital copies of them. For physical copies, the materials of
which the copy is made may be scarce and this may cause the physical copy to
be scarce.

So, can we find a way to "pay" for the naturally scarce bit without trying to
legally make the naturally abundant digital copies legally scarce?

all the best,

drew