Re: [LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 07 2010 - 20:40:19 EEST

On Wednesday 07 July 2010 10:57:13 Hartmut Noack wrote:
> Am 07.07.2010 16:21, schrieb drew Roberts:
> > On Wednesday 07 July 2010 09:09:51 Hartmut Noack wrote:
> >> So there should be a better system to make sure the work of artists will
> >> be compensated if you want fulltime artists.
> >>
> >> And such work is scarce, because you need to have people working for
> >> months to get an album filled with ideas manifested in actual
> >> recordings.

I am pretty sure Sean T Wright: http://www.seantwright.com has put out an
album a month for an astounding number of months now. (I think that is the
deal.)

I do know that not all of us can produce at that pace though. Still, how many
hours of music is put out each year these days?

> > First we have a word issue here. What is the meaning you are using for
> > the word "work" in the phrase:
> >
> > "And such work is scarce"?
>
> A physical manifestation of ideas. Can be a sound file, a written score,
> canvas with paint upon etc etc etc

Right, so not work is scarce as in I am working as in labour is scarce. You
are saying works are scarce?

I am not so sure works are scarce. Especially works in digital form. New
works, perhaps. New pleasing works, perhaps. Once a scarce works is cast in
digital form, the scarcity for "that" work is then gone in the natural order
of things. Or going back, once a work is made public, the natural scarcity
for that work is gone. The scarcity for the works "containers" may remain.