Re: [LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 08 2010 - 19:58:00 EEST

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 8:50 AM, drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Thursday 08 July 2010 10:58:22 you wrote:
>> I love your idea but fortunately we can just walk away and not
>> consume.
>
> Not always, sometimes you are stuck in traffic...
>
> Because if the over the top laws we have re copyright these days, I consider
> non-Free licensed coyrighted works in a public place to be pollution. They
> infect my sound recordings and my photographs and videos. Pollution.
>
> Not to mention possibly infecting my mind and polluting future artistic
> efforts on my part. (And this can happen without the artist's awareness
> according to legal theory it seems.)
>
> all the best,
>
> drew

There's an interesting book that came out a few years ago called The
Black Swan. It's oriented toward stock trading and the statistics
involved but it covers a lot of real world examples. One is the
influence things like newspapers have on how people view what's
_really_ going on. I love the newspaper but how 'important' is a story
in the newspaper when the general population reads it in only one
paper vs reading it in fifty? The 'right' answer is it's got the same
importance because it's just the same story. However people tend to
lend far more credence to a story that's repeated everywhere vs seeing
it just once. It's 'human nature' to think that because everyone is
reporting it that it's 'more real' or ''must be true' when the fact is
it's just a story that's been repeated. (Think early Watergate
coverage on one end vs maybe the lovely ingenue Taylor Swift on the
other. Think about the relative importance of authors - those who
write one great book vs those who write massive numbers of best
sellers.

I feel that there's a direct parallel with what's happened to the
music industry. Radio, TV - they play the same things over and over
taking advantage of 'human nature' to make these artists appear 'more
important' when in truth they aren't. They are just better promoted.

I have a personal rule that unless I'm working on a learning a song I
try to never play any CD more than once a month anymore. I try to
limit how many times I listen even to the same artist. (Like 5 Peter
Gabriel CDs/month) I just listen to more sources of material which
seems to give my mind a chance to breathe.

Of course, doing your best _not_ to get stuck in traffic is a good idea also.

- Mark