Re: [LAU] Nice drums?

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 10 2010 - 13:28:20 EEST

On 10 July 2010 18:07, Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> James Stone wrote:
>> Listening to the drumkits in hydrogen - they seem nice, but not _that_
>> nice. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for giga drums
>> to work with linuxsampler. Ross Garfield 2 seem quite a reasonable
>> price: http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detail.html?589 However, I'm
>> not so sure how I would make use of the multi-layers or get them to
>> sound more humanised - maybe playing with a midi keyboard?
>>
>> Alternatively (better) - any good soundfonts or hydrogen kits for
>> realistic drum sounds?
>>
>> James
>
> Hello James,
>
> http://www.autodafe.net/gscw-drum-kit-for-hydrogen-drum-machine.html
> Especially GSCW2 is nice.
>
> http://linux.autostatic.com/hydrogen/BigMono.h2drumkit
> That's the Big Mono kit from Analogue Drums:
> http://www.analoguedrums.com/details-bm.php
> I got the personal approval from the owner of Analogue Drums to host a
> h2drumkit package of this kit.
>
> And then there's the infamous ns7kitfree package. Unfortunately it's not
> free anymore: http://www.naturaldrum.com/
> However, there are Hydrogen xml files available and I have a h2drumkit
> package of it. Can't host it publicly though.
>
> AFAIK these are the best free/used-to-be-free acoustic drum kits
> available for Hydrogen.

Gearslutz and Ultimate Metal [1] forums have drum sample stickies. No
licensing information for most of them.

[1] http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/311618-drum-samples-meta.html

In any way, the reason why you can't seem to be able to find "nice"
drum sounds is because not many of the freely available samples are
heavily and carefully layered. For a dynamic and "full" sound, LAYER A
LOT (minus bad reverb).

Else, sit on the throne. But even then, you'd definitely want to add
transient triggers, and then we go back to "nice" samples yet again.
What a nice recursion!

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD