Re: [LAU] OT Rant: When will people stop comparing Windows/Linux apps?

From: Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 11 2010 - 17:22:38 EEST

On Sun, 2010-07-11 at 15:42 +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> On 2010-07-11 13:51, Andrew C wrote:
> > Heck, even
> > Mac OS X has more in common with linux than windows does, and I'm not
> > seeing people going 'Why can't I run Ableton on this Mac? Ugh it sucks
> > big time, I won't bother with it!'.
>
> First: I only run linux, never tried Ableton Live, but would like to.
>
> To answer (or comment) what you wrote there:
>
> 1) If you need ableton live, you need ableton live, and if it won't work
> on OS-however-nice it stops right there, at least for some people.

Yes, if you're used to (and have spent hours learning) an app that does
all you want, why would you want to learn another one, with a different
design philosophy and different (maybe inferior) feature-set?

Most people have ROI on their minds. If spending all this time learning
Linux and this new app is just going to bring me to the same level of
functionality that I already have, why bother?