Re: [LAU] Yet another audio interface post

From: Pedro Ferreira <ilzogoiby@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 11 2010 - 20:58:04 EEST

> I have a Rig Kontrol 2 from Native Instruments. It does have a driver
> for Alsa, and I'm happily using it with JACK. AFAIK the driver is the
> same for all the NI devices, snd-usb-caiaq; when I was trying to get
> mine to work (wasn't straightforward due to bugs in the driver which
> the dev has worked out, now it should be plug-play) I found in some
> places reports of  attempts of using the Audio Kontrol 1 on linux - the
> NI forums I guess, I could try to fetch them out if google is not your
> friend.

I've found some of them, but I found no-one using it for recording
(with Ardour or whatever).

> So for the audio part there should be no difficulties IMHO, and
> if there were the dev (which is on the alsa mailing list) is a very
> friendly guy and I guess he would help you.

Good, good :)

> BUT: I don't know if the things (knobs, buttons etc.) on the Audio
> Kontrol 1 produce MIDI, however I doubt it, since the ones on my RK2
> don't - they produce HID-like events though, that is it is recognized
> as sort of a keyboard or mouse.

In the manual, they say you can choose between MIDI and "key
commands". However, it seems that the mapping is done by some software
that needs to be running. Is it like this in your RK2? I guess that's
the HID events you're referring too... in that case I could just use
puredata as you say, or create some simple program for doing it. I
could live with that.
How does the caiaq driver handle these events? How do you capture them?

> I wouldn't recommend it to someone who can still buy
> something that sends out straight midi (I bought my RK2 before moving
> to linux).

Yes, but the problem right now is that Firewire is out of question (as
I have some bogus Ricoh chipset), and there are not many USB2 devices
working right now... I'd love to be proven wrong on this one :)

> So all in all I bet you could get it working, but probably (unless it
> sends out MIDI) you'd have to put together some pd patch or sc code.

That wouldn't be a big deal, I could hack something... I just want to
make sure that I won't end up with some piece of hardware that has no
hope of ever being used on Linux.

Thanks a lot!

Pedro