Re: [LAU] OT Rant: When will people stop comparing Windows/Linux apps?

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 12 2010 - 09:36:46 EEST

Hey guys!

To answer the question of the topic "When will people stop comparing Windows
apps to Linux apps?" the obvious answer is "Never".

Indeed, why should they? Isn't that one of the main questions when we speak
about operating systems? We are not interested in what this operating system
can do in theory or what it is capable of from abstract technical grounds,
like better memory allocation or no viruses or no registry and no slowing
down of the system with time, etc. For most of the time we are interested in
what it can do NOW, and that means - what applications are available today.

Do people compare what Mac with Windows? They do, but comparison dies out
quickly because Mac has everything you need.

Theoretically, when GNU/Linux has all the apps one might need - usable GIMP
that can really replace Photoshop, music software, architecture software,
video editing software that works, etc, comparisons to GNU/Linux will also
be rare.

L.V.