Re: [LAU] OT Rant: When will people stop comparing Windows/Linux apps?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 12 2010 - 23:57:31 EEST

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:56 PM, rosea grammostola
<rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:41 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Andrew C <countfuzzball@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> > Heh, my bad. Just to clear this up, I gave Ableton as an example as I
>> > thought it was windows only. :/
>> >
>> > But surely if people are so 'I don't really want to learn a totally
>> > different app but I want it running on this OS without any bugs or kinks
>> > etc', then why would they even be dipping their toes into a different OS
>> > expecting sh*t to work as if it were windows and then go bawwwing back
>> > windows?
>> >
>> > Andrew.
>>
>> In my case I don't bring any of this up anymore because I just stick
>> with whatever native OS an app is developed for. I have multiple
>> machines, Linux for Ardour mainly along with lots of plugins, but
>> Windows XP machines for GSt and Acid Pro. All the machines are linked
>> with ADAT optical and it's pretty much a non-issue. I've collected 4
>> machines over the years as I've upgraded to newer hardware. However
>> these old machines are still as good and as fast as they ever were so
>> GSt runs on it's own machine, Acid Pro on another. I only turn them on
>> when I need them.
>
> Do the machines interact, let's say, run a plugin on Windows and use it in
> Ardour on Linux via ADAT or something?
>
> \r

Yes, they interact.

Guitar Rig is running under Win XP. I am playing my guitar. Guitar Rig
processes the sound and the output is sent to my Linux soundcard via
an ADAT optical cable. Jack sends the audio to Ardour where it is
recorded.

GigaStudio is running under Win XP. I play an external keyboard. MIDI
goes to Windows, GSt makes sounds which are sent to Ardour for
recording.

Sometimes, but not often because I don't really feel creative when
working with MIDI data, Rosegarden is running, MIDI goes to Windows
where synths makes sounds which is recorded by Ardour in Linux.

Acid Pro is running under Win 7. I develop a song idea using loops.
Audio is sent to Ardour for recording. Even in this mode I seldom
'listen' to Windows. I almost always send the output to Linux where it
goes to studio monitors or headphones.

Ardour plays sounds previously recorded. I create a sub bus which is
output from the Linux machine over an ADAT optical cable. Windows XP
receives the audio & routes it to a software reverb. (VST) The output
is sent back to Ardour for recording.

Keep in mind that all sound cards in all computers are sync'ed via
Word Clock, optical ADAT or spdif.

Typically these days, because I am doing so little writing and
recording for the last 2-3 years, I just use Linux for Ardour and most
everything else is done in Windows where the interfaces are more
polished and just faster and easier for _me_ to use. I don't suggest
that _all_ Windows programs are better, although in my opinion the
samplers (GSt, Kontact) are far ahead. Linux soft synths are quite
good if you are adept at the development model. However please keep in
mind that I am _not_ as sys admin, I am _not_ a programmer, and I do
not particularly like to tinker with computers any more so I'm focused
on what ever seems easiest to me at the time. I am _not_ trying to
look for the best solution - something I think lots of people reading
this list do - but more one that simply works easily for me.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mark