[LAU] MIDI over serial port

From: Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 14 2010 - 01:58:06 EEST

Hi,

I have a somewhat older synthesizer that, in addition to the regular
MIDI in/out/thru ports, also has a serial connector (labeled "TO HOST").

Now I'd like to use this serial connection to connect the synthesizer to
my Laptop. This gets a little more complicated by the fact that the
Laptop does not have an actual serial port, so I'm using an
additional USB/Serial adapter in between.

What driver or tools do I need to get this combination to work?
For serial MIDI there's the snd-serial-u16550 module, but as far as I
can tell it only works for "real" serial ports. I've also seen a snd-
serialmidi module mentioned a couple of times, but it seems to have been
removed from the kernel years ago.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Dominic