Re: [LAU] Yet another audio interface post

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 15 2010 - 12:50:40 EEST

Louigi Verona wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 1:25 PM, david wrote:
>
> Louigi Verona wrote:
>
> Guys, is the jack input on the soundcard stereo? My laptop has
> no line-in and I don't know how to record stereo sound INTO the
> computer as most even pro soundcards offer only mono inputs.
>
> They offer multiple mono inputs. You hook one stereo channel to one
> input, the other stereo channel to another input, gang the two
> inputs together, and you have a stereo input. If that's what you
> mean by recording stereo.
>
> At least that's what I think you do. I'm sure the pros will correct me!
>
> But where? I looked at the description,

Of what? The input in JACK???

> I can see only one mono jack input.

Usually you would do this hook up in the audio program you're using.
What audio program are you using?

Sometimes it's done through the audio card's hardware mixer. What sound
hardware does your laptop have?

Of course, maybe mono is all it has for an input. My laptop's built-in
audio has only one external input: microphone. I know from experience
it's mono (not stereo). It's intended for mic input for computer
telephony or computer gaming headsets, not recording stereo.

My Behringer UCA-202 shows me two inputs in Rosegarden. By default,
Rosegarden sees them as stereo. If I tell it to see the instrument as
mono, I get to pick left or right channel. So I can hook the left
channel to one track and the right channel to another, or both channels
to the same track as stereo.

I don't have any real pro audio card here, and don't really do much with
audio programs beyond a bit of mixing in Audacity, which some here don't
consider a pro audio program ;-). That's why I'm hoping someone else on
the list can chime in!

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden