Re: [LAU] Wired... wires confused!

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 15 2010 - 14:24:07 EEST

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 1:49 PM, James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I don't know Reason at all, but as far as I was aware, it was just a
> sequencer with a synth and drums included in a monolithic piece of
> software. With the exception of a lightweight sampler plugin, qtractor
> can do all that using dssi or lv2 plugins and piano roll, with the
> extra advantage of being able to record audio. As far as I am aware,
> Lmms, Neil, Renoise and energyXT2 all have the same or better
> functionality as Reason. The only difference I can see is the GFX and
> the method of entering notes. Or am I missing something?

Well, you should go ahead and read up about Reason in wikipedia. Wired is
basically
a Reason clone. It is different to Qtractor. Qtractor is a more general
purpose sequencer,
I would say. However, built-in synth would allow you to do some things which
Qtractor
currently can't, like render all song to a file.

Also, I do not know of any LV2 synth that is a good drum machine. Someone
here said that the
GUI is disfunctional. But this is not true. You can by a single click assign
a different volume to a
drum machine note and in fact this drum machine is very nice.

If there were many high quality working LV2 synths, Wired would, perhaps, be
a matter of taste.
But there is no such thing today - the number of LV2 synths is small and
those that are there barely
work. MDA plugins, for instance, do not give any sound in Qtractor. LV2 zyn
also does not seem to work
within any sequencer but the lv2 rack.

So Wired is an integrated music environment where you can save projects and
reopen them without hassle.
I would say it is a great project. It's just a pity it is in such a
half-baked state.

--
Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/