Re: [LAU] Yet another audio interface post

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 15 2010 - 16:20:57 EEST

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I would question that. I am a real musician. I have hardware synths which I
> use. I need to record the output of those
> into a computer. What is so dj-ish about it?

louigi - this is really just a question about cabling (once you get
beyond your mono-mic-only laptop dilemma).

i too have h/w synths, and their outputs are delivered on 1/4" TRS
sockets, 1 per channel. so, when connecting this kind of equipment,
the most obvious thing is to have a pair of 1/4" -> 1/4" *mono* cables
and plug one end into the synth and the other into a 1/4" socket of an
audio interface.

it sounds as if your experience with other equipment is leading you to
favor the idea of a cable with 2 1/4" *mono* jacks at one end, and 1
*stereo* jack at the other. there certainly are consumer sound cards
that use stereo mini-jacks for input, so if you used one of them, this
is the kind of cable you'd use. a lot of DJ equipment expects to
receive/deliver stereo via such jacks too (even more true as portable
digital music players have become the core playback device for many
DJs) hence the suggestion above. but most equipment aimed at musicians
doesn't use stereo jacks, just pairs of mono ones.