Re: [LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 15 2010 - 20:35:57 EEST

Am 12.07.2010 10:31, schrieb Louigi Verona:
> [...]
>
> Some very good points raised which I'd like to comment.
>
> "Maybe we could get paid if we are forced to consume a copyrighted work
> against our will?"
>
> I loved this one. Very funny and I think t-shirts with that phrase can be
> successful!
>

> I have commented several things brought up by different people in the
> discussion:
> 1. Manifestations of ideas.
> 2. Hard work.
> 3. Artists should eat.
> 4. Right/wrong examples.
>

> "In your comments you discuss the question of scarcity of ideas and you
> compare ideas and physical objects. But I do not think, that we talk about
> ideas here.
> We talk about manifestations of ideas in the form of compositions and
> recordings."
>
> What you say is confusing. Every idea results in a manifestation. If we are
> talking about physical objects that result from realization of an idea, then
> my original article's argument stands very well - in that case we will have
> to be speaking about distribution and copies. Intellectual property in that
> regard is then absolutely irrelevant, since any manifestation of an idea
> would be a physical object that falls under physical property concept - and
> in the digital world that makes those manifestations redundant.
>
> Of course, I understand what you mean - you can think a copyrighted melody,
> but you cannot really perform. But I think it is an erroneous distinction.
> If a manifestation of an idea is prohibited, basically it means you cannot
> use this idea, it means you do NOT have it. An idea can be useful only when
> you can use it. If you know something but cannot use this knowledge -* it is
> the same if you simply did not know it.*
> When copyright laws regulated only a particular type of manifestation of an
> idea - namely, publishing books - maybe then this distinction would have had
> some sense, I don't know. Today copyright regulates ANY manifestation,
> including derivative works. It effectively destroys any differentiation
> between pure idea and its manifestation.
> Tell me if my thought is clear, since I believe it to be an important point
> of the discussion.
>

> "But "Moses and Aaron" took Schönberg months if not years to write and of
> course he claimed a right to be compensated for this work."
>
> What if it took him 10 days to write? McCartney wrote "Yesterday" in less
> than one minute one morning. So? And did you read anywhere that Schönberg
> claimed the right to be compensated because it took him so long to write?
> Where did he claim it? I cannot imagine, for instance, Tchaikovsky or Bach
> walking to the main square of the city (or to the government) and saying - I
> have worked on this particular score for ten years, so now I claim the right
> to be compensated for it.
> I am not mocking your statement, I am just questioning its validity.

I grant, that my point is simplyfied. So to make it more clear:
philosophically I think, attribution would be enough compensation. BUT:
Philosophy does not pay the rent. It is an entirely social issue we talk
about here. I would love to see a Society, in wich an artist can live a
decent live by getting an share of economic wealth unconditional and
would have the opportunity to eachieve luxury by playing concerts and
selling physical copies. Then it would be entirely OK to make
unconditional distribution of recorded music the normal state of
affairs. You, the society, give me enough to eat and to have shelter and
education and medical aid - I, the artist, share my works with you, the
society as well.
But we live in a society, in wich Stalins notion "who does not work,
shall not eat." is commonplace and law.

> The argument is, in my opinion, weak, although it is frequently brought up.
> If someone did "hard" work, he is not entitled to any compensation by
> default. Why?
> 1. Because nobody asked him to.
> 2. Because the result of his hard work might not be good.
>
> To rephrase it positively, you are entitled to be paid for your work if:
> 1. You were asked to do it beforehand (and promised to be paid).
> 2. The result of your work is satisfactory, regardless of how much time you
> put into it.
>
> The first point is more important and is often missed. The second one is
> very often brought up. I usually say that I've spent 5 months working on a
> song that turned out to be awful. What can I claim? Nothing? But I worked
> hard!!!

Complicated problem and I do not think, anybody should try to solve it.
We do not have any authority to decide, what is good or bad. The recent
system claims to decide this by marketshare. But we all know, that the
top10 do NOT guarranty quality and that great works never have any
commercial success.

> "One may philosophize all day and all of the night about how works of art
> are derived from traditions that belong to everyone or if maybe Shiva,
> Hekate or God himself or mother earth or whatever instance beyond our realm
> of economics and physical needs are to be attributed for inspiration. But
> nobody can ignore physical needs, at least not for long ;-)
> It is a social issue: creators need food and shelter, they need a social
> status that is adequate to their work"
>
> This is a more important argument. Here is my view on it.
>
> I think there are two issues here:
> 1. A link between a concept of intellectual property and artists' profits.
> 2. An imbalance between sufficiency and fortune.
>
> The first is highly questionable.
> It is a fact that law of IP as we know it today is a very recent thing. Even
> the first half of XX century did not have copyright as we know it today, it
> was a very limited law. It is also a fact that many musicians have stated in
> their interviews that they rarely made money by selling records, that
> includes famous groups. Try reading up a great Rolling Stones interview
> where he says that selling records was profitable to the artist only between
> second half of the 70s and beginning of 90s. 20 years of all music history
> the model worked for artists.
> It is also a fact of life that in most countries around the world IP laws do
> not really work. People download for free, people crack software, people rip
> cds and movies and there is no problem whatsoever in obtaining any media you
> like if you want to. Yet I do not see musicians starving or painters lying
> on the streets, not being able to make another step out of hunger.
> Seriously. I do see some people who called themselves "musicians" and wanted
> to make a "career" and become a "star" give up their teenage dreams and get
> a decent job, possibly doing something useful for a change. Those people who
> are really in music for the music have generally no problem of making a
> living.
> The link between IP and supporting artists has always been theoretical. For
> most of real life cases there is simply no such link at all.
>
> So yes, I do agree with you that artists should be able to eat and have a
> shelter. I just do not see what it has to do with a confusing concept of
> intellectual property and restricting law of copyright.

What you say is a bit like: "Steamboats cannot solve the problem, that
we cannot fly to mars. So let us sink those steamy buggers!"

To completely abolish the concept of intellectual property (gee... I
hate that corporatism the same as you do... ;-) ) will not work and will
not help. All the problems, you have rightfully stated above ( musicians
seldomly make any money in the given system etc) come from the
implementation of the concept and from the economic system, that uses
this concept and not from the concept itself.

> The second is also an important problem.
> If copyright worked as RIAA and MPAA wanted it, then artists would not
> simply be making a living, they would be crazy rich. RIAA and the like are
> basically calling for a society in which being an author means being a
> millionaire. If the aim was to provide a living, at the very least (at the
> very least) copyright law should be shrunk by about 700% in its length and
> scope. 2 years of duration, covers only commercial copies of original work.

This does not sound so bad to me. Maybe 5 years as known today, 10 more
years for commercial copies and a right to say No to use in
advertisement. Could be my sontaneous proposal....

> Then we would be talking about making a living.
> Being a composer and being a painter should not mean that you would be
> successful and have money. Some painters become poor, some musicians might
> starve, but same happens to engineers, programmers, designers, teachers,
> drivers, to anybody in our world. You cannot create a society where everyone
> would be happy and always have a job. It is not a matter of law or copying a
> digital file - it is a matter of human nature.
>
> In the end, if I am told that my freedom should be very seriously restricted
> because there is a hard link between my everyday interaction with the
> technology and starvation of whole classes of society, that claim, which
> does not seem obvious from my life experience, should then be proven. It
> should be researched thoroughly and presented to the public. We need facts
> and numbers.

101% ACK

> Was such research carried out? It was. Several times.
> Why don't people generally know about it? Because it showed that IP does not
> help make a living. In some fields, such as patents, it in fact made it less
> possible to make a living.

These studies show, that intellectual property rights (ouch!! again this
awful word...) are abused today by those who claim to implement it for
the benefit of the authors.

> So, the super famous argument that links IP law to profits is, in my very
> well formed opinion, completely false. It does not stand up to critical
> thinking. We can philosophize as much we want about artists starving because
> of torrents, but in real life it is not an issue and if an artist does
> starve, it has nothing to do with intellectual property.
>
> *note: compensation is a bad term, by the way. if we say that we are morally
> obliged to pay to musicians because music is not our need but our "want",
> this obligation is cancelled by the fact that nobody forced a musician to be
> a musician. You can be forced to work as a waiter, but not as a musician.
> This is not that kind of a job. Of course, a more deep argument would notice
> that perhaps, music is our need after all.*

Yeah, "reward" would sound nicer but not everything should sound/look
nicer than it is.