Re: [LAU] MIDI over serial port

From: Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 16 2010 - 13:57:06 EEST

On Wednesday 14 July 2010 08:01:36 Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > I've also seen a snd-
> > serialmidi module mentioned a couple of times, but it seems to have
> > been removed from the kernel years ago.
>
> That module is part of the alsa-driver package.

Ah, thanks. I think I was confused by the fact that the module does not
exist in Ubuntu or Debian.
Is this module of any use for what I'm trying to do? Why doesn't it get
built by "./configure --with-cards=serialmidi && make"?

> In theory, it would be possible to write a userspace daemon that
> connects any serial port to the ALSA sequencer.

I guess I could do that. Basically, ttymidi[1] seems to be halfway
there, I'd just need to modify it to work bidirectionally and follow the
actual MIDI spec...

Cheers,

Dominic

[1] http://www.varal.org/ttymidi/