Re: [LAU] Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 41, Issue 32

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 19 2010 - 12:45:59 EEST

On 07/19/2010 07:40 PM, David Balch wrote:
> [From digest]
>
> On 17 July 2010 13:00,<linux-audio-user-request@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> From: Patrick Shirkey<pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
>> Subject: Re: [LAU] Combining two stereo devices on one card into one
>> four-channel device (M-Audio FastTrack Pro)

> At this stage I just want one stereo out for speakers and the other
> for headphones, to use with mixxx [http://www.mixxx.org/], so I was
> hoping that exact sync wouldn't be necessary.
>

>>> Are you certain the word clocks are separate, even tho both
>>> devices appear on a single card?
>>>
>> Maudio do/have done this on some devices for some reason. I haven't come
>> across any other manufacturers who do it. The clocks are synced but the
>> setup in alsa is a pita.
>>
> A bit of searching didn't find anything definitive, but I found a post
> that seems to imply that the
> http://forums.m-audio.com/archive/index.php/t-7497.html clocks are
> synced.
>

>> I have also noticed that previously tested and confirmed working
>> .asoundrc scripts don't work as expected. This started happening
>> sometime in the past couple of years. I'm not sure what has changed but
>> this stuff was sorted out several years ago and now it seems to be
>> broken again in that it is not just a case of copy and paste according
>> to the instructions that were painstakingly created all those years ago.
>>
>> Either it's something to do with the location of the .asoundrc or it is
>> a change to the way the pcm.multi setup is now handled.
>>
>> The result is that someone has to figure out what has changed and update
>> all the old scripts with the new details.
>>
> Definitely a pita. Possibly not so much of a problem for those who've
> been using ALSA for a while, but when it's a struggle for someone used
> to a bit of tinkering, there's no chance for those who just want to
> plug in and get on with it :-(

Yep, that is the most painful part about the situation. Several people
put in a lot of effort to put al the docs together and now it has been
changed we don't really know where to fix it.

Feel free to ask more questions on this list as it may help us to
isolate the problem. For me I have been using only two channels recently
so haven't needed to fix the problem. I'm happy to help you though.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd